Chelsea eyeing Victor Osimhen transfer under Xabi Alonso

Chelsea eyeing Victor Osimhen transfer under Xabi Alonso


Chelsea are once again among the clubs in contention to sign Victor Osimhen this summer, with the 27-year-old Nigerian striker’s representatives actively assessing potential destinations ahead of what could be a landmark transfer window for Stamford Bridge under incoming manager Xabi Alonso.

TEAMtalk report that Chelsea are viewed by Osimhen’s camp as a possible next club, with several top sides said to be monitoring his situation at Galatasaray. The Nigerian has been linked with a move to Chelsea on multiple occasions in recent years without a deal materialising. The arrival of Xabi Alonso as manager from July 1, succeeding the sacked Liam Rosenior, represents a significant shift in direction at the club and a potential opportunity to finally get a long-running transfer saga over the line.

Chelsea head into the final game of their Premier League season against Sunderland on Sunday in eighth place, with European qualification for either the Europa League or Conference League still possible but not confirmed. Osimhen has been linked with Chelsea before, most recently when he opted to join Galatasaray instead, and his representatives are now once again running the rule over Stamford Bridge as a potential destination.

Victor Osimhen’s numbers at Galatasaray that have Chelsea interested

The statistics that have reignited interest from across Europe are impossible to ignore. Since joining Galatasaray on loan from Napoli in 2024, Osimhen has scored 59 goals and provided 16 assists across 74 appearances in all competitions for the Turkish side. At an average of a goal every 1.25 games, he has done nothing to suggest that the Premier League and Champions League football he was associated with at Napoli represented a ceiling rather than a platform.

His Napoli record reinforces the point further. Across 133 games for the Italian club, Osimhen netted 76 times, including the goals that drove Napoli to the Serie A title in 2023. For a player who has now scored 135 goals across two clubs and two countries, the question of whether he belongs at the highest level has long since been answered.

Barcelona and Real Madrid competition complicates Chelsea’s Victor Osimhen pursuit

The challenge for Chelsea is that they are not the only club at the table. Both Barcelona and Real Madrid are said to be possible destinations for the forward, with the former specifically identified as being in the market for a long-term replacement for Robert Lewandowski. Competition from two of the world’s biggest clubs, both of whom can offer Champions League football from day one, represents a significant obstacle for a Chelsea side that has spent this season outside of Europe’s elite competition entirely.

What Chelsea can offer that Barcelona and Real Madrid cannot is the Premier League itself. Osimhen has spoken previously about his desire to play in England, and the appeal of Alonso as a manager, combined with the project Chelsea appear to be building around his arrival, could yet prove persuasive. Whether that is enough to outcompete Madrid and Barcelona in a bidding situation involving one of European football’s most prolific strikers remains the central question of what could be one of the summer’s defining transfers.









Source link